It is bizarre to me that today is my 30th birthday. Not so much that it is unreasonable to be 30, I just have been "young" forever, that now maybe I am not?!?
I started college at 17 - young. Roane and I got married when I was 19 and he was 21 - young. I started real estate at 19 - young. I graduated college at 20 - young. When I went to work for Lynn, I was a year younger than her daughter Vicki (our office secretary), so she made me lie about my age. I was the president of the Cleveland Board of Realtors at 23 - youngest ever. Many of our good friends are 15 years older than me - (I will always be young to them!) I am sure the majority of people around me can't believe that I am only 30, since I have "been around forever", but I suddenly feel like maybe my age has caught up to me! I guess have a whole decade to come to terms with all of that.
I have gotten a couple of gifts so far today. My mother in-law showed up with a tray full of herbs and a cookbook, Thomas slept till almost 6, Nathan got dressed without too much whining (but it just occurred to me that maybe he didn't brush his teeth!), and lots of texts and FB messages, but so far the best gift I have gotten is a blog post from my sister.
To say the last year or so has been difficult on our relationship would be a gigantic understatement, but through God's grace in our lives, I think we are on the path to be closer than we ever have been before, mainly because our relationship is being rebuilt on a firmer foundation than it was before. Before we were close because we shared similar interests and were at the same place in our lives, but now we are close because we have become honest about the deep sin in our lives that almost drove us apart. We are honest about our inability to be the sister and friend God calls us to be. We are honest about the deep need to forgive each other, constantly. There is a CS Lewis quote that goes something like this, "Children are happy with making mudpies in the street, because they cannot imagine a holiday at the seashore." I spent months mourning the loss of what we used to share, but that was just a mudpie. God is revealing something much more glorious to us both, and for that I am truly thankful.
My hope for my 30s??? That the painfully learned lessons of my 20s will not have to be relearned. That my life will be characterized by Christ living in me - love for HIM, love for HIS people, and as much grace and mercy as he has given me to be given to those around me. That the progression of gray hair around my face will be slowwwwww. And that I will be blessed with the fantastic genetics of the Berryhill side of the family.
Read Mari's blog post at www.mollysmixedupworld.blogspot.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

30 is definitely NOT old!!!
ReplyDeleteI am so stunned that you are 30... had no idea that you were a mere babe! When you hit 40, that's when you start to feel old!
For now, just enjoy the realization that you're not as "smart" as you thought you were in your 20's -- which comes from maturing out of them! HA! -- and know that the decades of growing in wisdom have begun. Have a happy day!
I am very glad that you have some friends who are 15 years older!! Dont het hung up on age. Get hung up on life. You will only be as happy as the people you get to share it with. Happy Birthday!
ReplyDelete