It struck me this weekend how the closer we are to someone, the more we see the world through their eyes and share things with them because they would appreciate knowing what we saw, heard, experienced. Several times over the last week or so, I have heard things and thought, "Daddy would know the answer to that" or "Daddy would be interested in that" or "Daddy would think that is funny". Those are the times that I get really sad.
I have also been thinking a lot about the difference between how Christians mourn and how the world mourns. Christians mourn the personal loss to ourselves, the loneliness, etc, but the world sees death as an eternal separation from loved ones. They don't understand how one functions in the face of this kind of unexpected loss. This was under-scored this weekend when I was talking with an acquaintance that is admittedly "unreligious". She couldn't fathom how I was out doing anything. She imagined such a loss to be totally overwhelming and that we would all just cease to function for a while. I wanted to ask her why she felt like this - did she think one day we will stop missing him? I don't ever want to stop missing him or thinking those - "Daddy would have" thoughts. I think for Christians, our comfort is an eternal mindset that keeps our eyes fixed on the fact that the few years we share with someone on earth is nothing compared to the infinity we will spend with them in heaven.
I guess I knew all of this in theory before, but it is so much different to actually truly experience God's comfort in such a real and tangible way. I have really been amazed at everyday, how much I feel God holding me in the palm of his hand. I am praying this closeness and comfort for my mother, aunt & uncle, and all my siblings, too. I continue to be thankful for the prayers and encouragement from so many around me. God is using his church to minister greatly to me and my family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment